About the Society
The West Creston Community Hall Society is a non-profit organization, registered October 22, 1993.
About that time, the main focus of the Society was to find the means to replace the old hall. A group of volunteers devoted much of their time and efforts to the removal of the old hall and the contstruction of a new building for the community. The new hall was commissioned in 2000 and appropriately named the West Creston Millennium Hall.
The old hall was also managed by a group of volunteers under an Association. In the early years (from 1925 to 1942), the hall was a school with a high of 33 students in 1938. A new school was built in 1938 and used as such until 1942 when the school was closed and the building renovated to serve as a community hall for meetings, dances, banquets, showers, weddings and graduation parties. All of the organizing and catering was done by the women of the Community. There is much more information on the history of the old hall and the community at the Creston Museum, please do check it out!
In 2007, the Society began receiving some funding from the Regional District recreation tax base. Along with memberships, donations and fundraisers, the operating and maintanence expenses for the facilities are covered. The Corn Crickers' Picnic and the Annual Christmas Tea are two of the very popular fundraisers.
The Society has made application in the past for a variety of provincial and regional grants, which were used to build and furnish the Community Millennium Hall, and assist with on-going special projects. We thank all those who have contributed toward making the hall a better place!
The Society is made up of 4 elected Officers (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer) and a minimum of 5 elected Directors. Click here to see who are the Slate of Officers. Elections are held each year at the Annual General Meeting, generally scheduled for April. All members that are the age of majority are eligible to vote for the candidate of their choice.
Board meetings are held the 3rd Monday of each month at 6:30 pm. All members are welcome to attend.